baptist_chapel

The chapel was built in 1859. James Sheahan, in his 1862 History and Topography of Buckinghamshire, states that:

In 1859, Charles H. Statham Esq, erected a building at Coleshill which, though not licensed, is used for Divine service; not however in connection with the Church of England. This Chapel is retained by Mr Statham, as private property.

The early history of the chapel is obscure, but by 1891 there was a fellowship of about 16 members, organised on Free Methodist lines, with chapel stewards, sick stewards, Sunday School, Band of Hope and a Clothing Club. The Secretary was Richard Manners of Beaconsfield and the Treasurer was Arthur Pusey, of Windmill Farm, who later emigrated to Canada.

From 1898 the teachers carried on the Sunday morning service after school and, after 1903, Coleshill Chapel withdrew altogether from the Wycombe Circuit. There were no trustees to object, as the building remained private property.

During the Second World War attendance at the chapel fell very low and no church meetings are recorded, but a fresh start was made in 1946. The church joined the Bucks Baptist Association, installed electric light and received a new Communion table. Miss Bryant was the treasurer and Mrs. A. Bates secretary, as her father had been forty years before.

The last minister, the Rev. Alan Sears, was inducted in 1960. In 1963, the initials of the founder of the chapel were still visible over the porch. Since that date, the chapel has been sold and converted into a private house. A new metal plaque has been placed over the porch with the incorrect date of 1829. The Chapel was in fact built in 1859.