Bowers Farm

The imposing farmhouse at Bowers Farm was built in the early 17th century, probably as a replacement for more modest housing at Coleshill Green. The new house was assessed at four hearths in 1662. By this time it belonged to Zachary Allnutt, who had married Susan, daughter of Nathaniel Reading in 1657. Reading had paid a substantial chief rent of 15s 8d to the lord of the manor of Coleshill for his land in the common fields, but this was reduced to 12s 8d by 1647. The chief rent came down to 10s 8d after Zachary Allnutt sold more of his property at Coleshill Green in 1687, including the farmstead which later became the Fleur de Lys Inn

Bowers Farm was the subject of an agreement of 1689, whereby Zachary Allnutt of Coleshill in the parish of Amersham, Herts, gentleman, made over part of the farm to his son and heir apparent Francis Allnutt.

Bowers Farm descended in the Allnutt family until the time of George Allnutt, who mortaged the property in 1739 and 1742. The freehold of the farm then passed to John Crook, a London perfumer who had retired to Hall Place in Beaconsfield. There is a very thorough description of the property in a Crook family settlement of 1812.

Bowers Farm later belonged to John Parton, the Beaconsfield solicitor, and is under his name in the Tithe Award of 1839. Bowers Farm was last cultivated in the 1920's by Frederick Ware, who also rented Ongar Hill Farm. The big house was taken over by James Arthur Harrison about 1930.