Bowers Farm

Apart from Stock Place, Brentford Barn, now known as Brentford Grange, is the earliest recorded farmstead in Coleshill. It probably took its name from an early farmer called Thomas de Breynford, who was certainly living in Coleshill from 1268-81. The Patent Rolls of 1268 record that Henry Sampson bought out a debt of £38 and six thousands of firewood of the price of £6, for which Thomas de Braymford of La Stock was bound to Vives, the son of Master Mosseus, Jew of London. In 1281, Robert son of Thomas de Breynford was party with Henry Sampson of La Stock to a conveyance of a messuage and a carucate of land with 30 acres of woodland. Brentford Wood is mentioned in a survey of the manor of Amersham in 1419 and in the1473, the Duke of Buckingham's manor of Stockbury included a tenement called Braynford in the County of Hertford. In 1637, a farmstead called Brentford Barn was included in the sale of the Manor of Amersham from Sir John Russell to William Drake of Shardeloes. In order to recoup some of his outlay, William Drake immediately sold Brentford Barn to Walter Tredway of nearby Stockings Farm.

Tha Ball family acquired the freehold of Brentford Barn and continued to live there for several generations. During the late 17th century they were prominent amongst the local Quakers and held meetings and even marriages at their house before Thomas Ellwood's home at Ongar Hill became their settled meeting place. The last of the family to live at Brentford Barn was Henry Ball of Coleshill, gent, who died in 1857. The house was advertised for sale in 1880

Brainsford Barn Estate, Coleshill, Amersham, Bucks.

Mr Gurney has received instructions from the proprietor to sell by auction on Friday 17th day of September at 3 0’clock in the afternoon, in the market room of the Red Lion Hotel, High Wycombe, this valuable agricultural and sporting freehold estate. It comprises 217 acres 39 perches of arable pasture and woodland in a ring fence, adjoining the road from Amersham to Beaconsfield. It has a substantial and well-built farmhouse, with eight bedrooms, drawing, dining and breakfast rooms, large stone paved kitchen, and other offices…. The whole is let on lease to Mr Alfred Newton at a clear annual rent of £210.

The original house at Brentford Barn was completely demolished in 1974. The present house called Brentford Grange has been built at some distance from the original site.