Friars Vane c1960

Lands Farm, now known as Friar's Vane, stood on the west side of Coleshill Green. It was owned for several generations by the Page family of blacksmiths. At the Amersham enclosure of 1815, John Page of Coleshill, blacksmith, was awarded 1 ¾ acres of land on Coleshill Green, between the farm and the pond. By 1861, the Page family had leased the farm to Abel Slade, a chair manufacturer, employing nine journeymen. He had recently married Harriet, widow of George Palmer of Winchmore Hill, shopkeeper. Living with Abel and Harriet were her children from her previous marriage, including Ephraim Palmer, who was to combine dairy farming with running the village shop. Ephraim Palmer died in 1927, aged 77, but the farm and milk sales were carried on by his son, George Fredrick Palmer, who died in 1951, and in turn by his son, Percival Palmer. After Lands Farm ceased to be a working farm, a new house of the same name was built nearby, owned by Anthony Baker. The original farmhouse was renamed Friars Vane and was occupied by Reginald Barrett in 1965. The house was advertised for sale by auction on 18 June 1969, when it had two reception rooms, three bedrooms, a bathroom and redesigned kitchen. There was an old barn, a double garage and a 1 ¼ acre paddock adjoining the village pond.