White Roses

White Roses was an old farmhouse converted into a gentleman's residence by Henry William Pomeroy or Mason, who owned the house from 1798-1806. He was the eldest son of Kendar Mason of Hatton Street, London from whom he inherited Beel House, Amersham on the Hill. He was Sheriff of Buckinghamshire in 1829. The house was then purchased by the Rev. Thomas Fisher, of Coleshill House and later by Thomas Bowden of The Rosary. Bowden's tenants included Amelia Waddell, who later moved to Porch House, and Henry Wingrove, a grocer from Amersham. In the 1880s, the house was occupied by Julius Middleton Boyd, an Indian Army Colonel, who gave it the curious name of The Bungalow. Of his six children, four were born in Bombay and two in Coleshill. Living with him was his mother in law, Christiana Blennerhassett.

The next tenant of The Bungalow was the Rev Benjamin D’Oyly Aplin, who was appointed Curate in charge of All Saints Coleshill in 1889. He left in 1895 to become Rector of Aston-le-Walls, Northamptonshire. He was replaced at The Bungalow by Edmund Arthur Helps, H.M. Inspector of Schools. He gave the house the more appropriate name of Coleshill Cottage. His son, Edmund Arthur Plucknett Helps was in the Colonial Civil Service, but visited Coleshill often enough to meet Lucy Laura Wycliffe Taylor. She was the daughter of the artist, John Wycliffe-Taylor, who regularly visited his unmarried sister, Miss Lucy Taylor, at nearby Porch House. They were married in 1920 and their son, Edmund Peter Helps was born in Malaya in the same year. Whenever Peter Helps and his brother were on holiday from school, they visited their grandfather at Coleshill Cottage. Accordingly, in 1929, E.A. Helps had an extension put on the back of the house incorporating a maid's room on the ground floor and a nursery above.

About 1930, E.A. Helps moved to a wooden bungalow near to Bottle Cottages. He conveyed Coleshill Cottage of Mrs Wycliffe-Taylor, the widowed mother of his daughter in law. She continued to entertain the Helps children in the holidays and built a single storey playroom in the garden. When A.E. Helps died in 1938, Mrs Wycliffe-Taylor demolished the wooden bungalow near Bottle Cottage and built a new house on the site, now called Walnut Tree. She died there in 1968.

By 1939, Coleshill Cottage, now renamed White Rose Cottage, was occupied by L.Coates. In 1952, James Denton was living at White Rose Cottage. The house was advertised for sale in 1966 when it had two reception rooms and five bedrooms. The stables has been converted into a garage with loft over.