magpies

The Magpies stands on the west side of the road from Amersham to Beaconsfield near its junction with the road to Coleshill Green. Although it served the tiny hamlet of Larkins Green, it was in a better position than most Coleshill public houses to capture any passing trade.

The earliest reference to The Magpies is in the 1816 Rental of the manor of Amersham. The property is copyhold, meaning that it was held not by a deed or conveyance but by a copy of the court roll of the year in which the tenant, John Keen jun., entered into possession. It is described as a 'house and orchard at Larkins Green, formerly Daniel Ball and late William Moore and Susanna his wife, late in the occupation of James Lewin and now of Slade'.

The Magpies was run by two or perhaps three generations of the Keen family who were chairmakers at Larkins Green. They held a beerhouse licence in 1830. They sold the property to Weller's Brewery in 1871 after which Charles Cyster became the publican. Later occupants were Henry Cyster, Elizabeth Cyster, William Preston, Frederick Pilcher, Charles Stevens and William Greaves.

In recent times, The Magpies was renamed the Mulberry Bush but in 2009, the pub was bought by Stephen Lever and renamed the Harte and Magpies.